| Mona Lisa by Monte Booker & Naji |
Dupes Ahoy!?
You know you're in trouble when a friend gifts you a gift card and you buy makeup ... and the makeup you buy can be duped to a shade you already own but, you didn't realise that before purchasing. Wake up my friend, you're a lipstick junkie and yah need to be stopped!
Well, it happened to me. When I say it took me over a month to choose a product (let alone the time it took me to decide to buy a makeup product and a lipstick at that) and I was really trying to get something wearable but different (Happy Sloth's beautiful swatch pictures/review really helped me choose a shade). Something that I might not have ...
Well, it happened to me. When I say it took me over a month to choose a product (let alone the time it took me to decide to buy a makeup product and a lipstick at that) and I was really trying to get something wearable but different (Happy Sloth's beautiful swatch pictures/review really helped me choose a shade). Something that I might not have ...
Nope - nada - not true. I've reached the stage of makeup foolery when I possibly have all the dupes for something. Any purchase I make dwells in the land of curiosity and a willingness to experience the new. If makeup was food, I'd be a gluttonous emperor who gorged unscrupulously on delectable wares and right now at this very moment, I'd be busting at the seams, completely unable to sit right in my breeches, touch my toes and if I was asked to do a summersault - I'd be in deathly trouble of rupturing my spleen with laughter. Granted each emperor has their story and just like anyone who overindulges (whether food/strict exercise regimes etc.) I found comfort in makeup. I can't say it hasn't provided some joy/excitement over the years (how sad) but, maybe I'm just getting too old or at least wise enough to get my Achilles heel fixed.
Alright - if you've managed to reach this point you at least deserve a clap *claps once*. I'd like to think that readers/people who stumble on my blog appreciate my honest opinion about products, my humour (I know I assume a lot), the fact that I don't "doctor"/airbrush photos, my overarching ethos "that you really don't need to splash the cash", the less is more agenda and that quality always outweighs quantity. So, thanks for sticking with me and my rambling self!
Now, whilst the formula and tone of the lipsticks are different, I still think this purchase proves my point as they work towards the same goals and are similar enough to share a post together. Therefore in this post, I will be reviewing and comparing Givenchy Interdit Satin Lipstick in Framboise Obscur (£25.50 - 3.4g) and Bourjois Rouge Edition in Violine Strass (£7.99 - 3.5g).
| The lipstick I already had ... |
*
Now, whilst the formula and tone of the lipsticks are different, I still think this purchase proves my point as they work towards the same goals and are similar enough to share a post together. Therefore in this post, I will be reviewing and comparing Givenchy Interdit Satin Lipstick in Framboise Obscur (£25.50 - 3.4g) and Bourjois Rouge Edition in Violine Strass (£7.99 - 3.5g).
| Bourjois + Givenchy |
Packaging: Of course Givenchy wins for packaging. I have no other lipstick like this with a fancy bow pull out lipstick system. It's not weighty (only a smidge heavier than the Bourjois). I mean, Bourjois doesn't look too bad itself - the colour is clearly labelled and it snaps just as beautifully together like the Givenchy, plus one major benefit is that I can rest the lipstick down on its bottom which, I can't do with the fancy Givenchy lipstick when it's out of its casing.
Scent: Framboise Obscur has a sweet creamy rose perfume scent. Personally, I like scented products so this strength may be too much for those who abhor fragrance cosmetics (I can smell it after application). Bourjois also has a perfumed scent too but, its quite light, sweet and clean smelling. Both are nice but for me, Givenchy wins again.
Givenchy Interdit Satin Lipstick in Framboise Obscur with white writing. Bourjois Rouge Edition lipstick in Violine Strass with Black writing. |
Formula: Framboise Obscur has a smooth silky application that almost feels like a lip treatment whereas Violine Strass is smooth but heavier. I think that Givenchy nourishes and clings to the lips better whereas Bourjois sits more on top. So yep, Givenchy wins again.
Pigmentation: Violine Strass can be lightly applied for a soft tint but, it is the more pigmented lipstick and you can have full opaque coverage in as little as one swipe. Framboise Obscure can be built up to full coverage but, it does take several swipes. So this time around, Bourjois wins.
| Framboise Obscur |
Framboise Obscur: The formula + scent makes for a really nice well-rounded product. This colour works nicely for a dark skin tone and will work with many other complexions well. It's pinker in tone than Violine Strass and has superfine practically unnoticeable shimmer that aids in the dewy finish.
| Violine Strass |
Violine Strass: Contains fine but, obvious golden shimmer when delicately applied but, the more the colour is built up, the more the golden shimmer is not as obvious. Nonetheless, this is a great product that nicely mixes shimmer and dewy pigmentation together. Just like Framboise Obscur - Violine Strass works really nicely for my dark skin and will also look good on a lot of other complexions.
Dramatically different? Subtle difference? In all photos, I'm wearing Frambois Obscur on my top lip and Violine Strass on the bottom. |
Colour: I know what you're thinking, if you're like me - you'll be saying that "these lipstick are completely different". Violine Strass by Bourjois is a much deeper more purple toned shade, whereas Grambois Obscur by Givenchy is lighter and more fuschia. Well yeah, if you're suffering from the sickness you'll say that but, for the normal people with non-tinted makeup eye vision, they'll see the sameness. In the above photos, I've applied the two shades on opposing lips at full strength and whilst there is a difference I think the non-Poirot's of the makeup world can see just how similar they can appear on the lips.
| Framboise Obscur applied on the entire lip lightly and Violine Strass used to line my lips on the outer edge |
Givenchy - First four Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Isostearyl Isostearate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene etc.
Bourjois - First four Ingredients: Polyglyceryl-2 Tetraisosterate, Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Hydrogenated Polydecene etc.
Bourjois - First four Ingredients: Polyglyceryl-2 Tetraisosterate, Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Hydrogenated Polydecene etc.
Do these lipsticks look similar enough to be dupes?
Your comments are always welcomed and appreciated!
0 Yorumlar